Enjoy our article on Dryland Exercises with Resistance Bands for Swimmers. This post may contain affiliate links. That means we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no extra cost to you. We highly recommend all products and only promote items that are Athlete Approved.
Increase Swim Performance with Dryland Workouts
Incorporate dryland workouts in conjunction with pool training to increase swim performance. Dryland exercises help swimmers build core strength, prevent injury, and maximized overall athleticism. Utilize a band to add resistance.
14 Dryland Exercises for Swimmers
The video below features Olympic Coach Mike Bottom and 2x Big Ten Swimming Champion Tommy Cope demonstrating 14 dryland exercises for swimmers with a band:
The exercises in the video include:
- External Rotation
- Internal Rotation
- Shoulder X
- Short Shoulder External Rotation with Abduction
- Half Knelling Diagonal Chops
- Lunge with Resistant Band
- Internal Prone Hip Rotation
- External Prone Hip Rotation
- Modified Pavlov Press
- Half Circle Pavlov Press
- Bird Dog with Shoulder Abduction and Row
- Dead Bug
- Flip Turn Crunch
Swimming on Land
No pool, no problem. Using bands simulate swimming in the pool on land. This will strengthen muscles used in the pool and build endurance. If done properly as shown in the video, swimmers can also improve their technique with band training.
The exercises in this video include:
- Hip Driven Free (for longer distance swimming)
- Shoulder Driven Free (for shorter sprint swimming)
- Freestyle with HALO Swim Training System (Coupon code “AAtake10” for 10% discount)
- Freestyle with FINIS Tempo Trainer (20% off all Finis gear applied through Athlete Approved link)
Dryland Bands Featured in this Video
The dryland tools featured in this video are made by Lane Gainer.
- Click here to learn more about HALO SPHandle (Swim Paddle Handle/grip) with tubing and H.E.A.T. (High Elbow Attached Tubing)
- Click here to purchase on Lane Gainer
- Athlete Approved readers can use a coupon code “AAtake10” for a 10% discount
About Athlete Featured in Video: Tommy Cope
Tommy is a graduate of the University of Michigan, where he specialized in breaststroke and IM events. He was the team captain his senior year.
He is an All-American in the 100 and 200 breaststroke, the 200 and 400 IM, and the 400 and 800 free relay. Tommy is also the Michigan school record holder in the 200 yard breaststroke. He is currently continuing his training at Michigan, with his eyes set on Tokyo.
Beyond swimming, Tommy is pursuing a master’s degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from The University of Michigan. He was named recipient of the 2020 Big Ten Medal of Honor, which is awarded to one male and one female athlete at The University of Michigan demonstrating excellence on and off the field.