Athlete Approved is reader supported. If you make a purchase through our links, we earn an affiliate commission, at no extra cost to you. We highly recommend all products and only promote items that are Athlete Approved.
Robes are a must-have for swimmers to wear before jumping into the pool. They are perfect if you are looking for a little extra warmth and cover up on deck.
All swimmers know the hardest part about going for a swim is walking on deck and getting into the pool. It can be awkward being half naked in front of a bunch of strangers (all who seem to have toned six-pack abs). Then, when you are done swimming it can be chilly and uncomfortable when you exit the pool.
We are here to make before and after your swim a little easier by sharing the best robes for swimmers. Our Athlete Approved guide includes:
- Arena Unisex Core Soft Robe: Best Overall Robe
- TowelSelections Men’s Hooded Robe: Best Robe for Men
- Speedo Women’s Aquatic Fitness Robe: Best Robe for Women
- Oksun Waterproof Changing Robe: Best Robe for Deck Changing
- Sioro Terry Cloth Robe (Men’s) | Sioro Terry Cloth Robe (Women’s): Best Long Length Robe
- Dryrobe Swim Robe: Best Poncho Style Robe
- Turkish Linen Ultra-Soft Plush Robe: Best Kid’s Robe
- What To Look For When Buying A Robe for Swimming
- What Is The Difference Between A Robe for Swimming and Bathrobe?
- Do Olympic Swimmers Wear Robes?
BEST OVERALL ROBE FOR SWIMMERS: Arena Unisex Core Soft Robe
Looking for a pool essential that is both functional and stylish? Look no further than the Arena Unisex Core Soft Robe. It is our top overall pick for swim robes.
The Core Soft Robe is crafted from lightweight, plush cotton terry that absorbs moisture quickly. It is also soft on the skin, making it a must-have for after a swim.
The hood is perfect for drying wet hair, and the adjustable belt ensures a comfortable fit. Plus, the two pockets are handy for storing your goggles and cap.
The Arena logos along the shoulders adds a sporty touch to this robe.
Whether you’re lounging by the pool or getting ready for a workout, the Arena Unisex Core Soft Robe is a must-have.
- High-quality – This robes is made of high quality fabric.
- Absorbent – The plush cotton terry cloth absorbs moisture quickly.
- Made by swimmers – Look the part with a swim robe made one of the world’s largest swim brands.
- Dry time – This robe takes time to dry between uses.
BEST ROBE FOR MEN SWIMMERS: TowelSelections Men’s Hooded Robe
The Men’s Hooded Robe by TowelSelections is our favorite selection for a men’s style robe. It is a soft, absorbent, warm robe that you can use at the pool.
This Turkish Cotton hooded terry cloth bathrobe is perfect for staying cozy without feeling weighed down. The robe’s front pockets are also great for holding your phone, locker key, or any other items you need to bring to your swim.
Made from soft, absorbent material, this robe is perfect for drying off. The hood keeps you warm and can be used to dry your wet hair.
Double-stitched for durability, this robe is built to last. This robe is sported by men of all ages.
- Material – This robes is designed to be soft and warm.
- Absorbent – The Turkish Cotton helps dry you off.
- Double stitch – It is a durable robe that feels luxurious.
- Weight – This robe may feel heavy to some.
BEST ROBE FOR WOMEN SWIMMERS: Speedo Women’s Aquatic Fitness Robe
The best robe for women swimmers is the Speedo Women’s Aquatic Fitness Robe. Made from French Terry fabric, this robe is lightweight and quick drying, making it perfect for throwing on after a swim in the pool.
The UV Block the Burn protective fabric will keep you protected from the sun’s harmful rays, while the three-quarter sleeves and drawcord hood make this coverup ideal for indoor or outdoor use.
The zip front and side pockets add convenience and style. The 60% cotton/26% polyester/6% spandex blend ensures a flattering fit.
Whether you’re headed to the pool for a workout or just relaxing poolside, the Speedo Aquatic Fitness Robe is an essential for female swimmers.
- Fabric – French Terry fabric makes this robe light weight and quick to dry.
- Zipper – Easy to put on, take off, and secure shut.
- UV protection – Block the Burn fabric protects you from the sun.
- No tie – This robe is styled without a traditional tie.
THE BEST ROBE FOR SWIMMERS TO DECK CHANGE: Oksun Waterproof Changing Robe
If you are looking to for help with deck changing, the Oksun Waterproof Changing Robe is for you.
Deck changing is the act of covering yourself on the pool deck and changing under it. While this is normally done with a towel, resort to this robe for extra coverage.
A little extra coverage never hurt anyone. After all, a deck change gone bad could leave to serious embarrassment for you (and possible scaring to viewers).
Made of 100% windproof and waterproof material, with a warm thin fleece lining, this robe can be worn in any climate.
This robe is perfect for changing in and out of your swimsuit or wetsuit easy, private, and warm… all in public view.
- Spacious – Large design allows for plenty of space to deck change.
- Waterproof – Outer coating will keep you dry.
- Inner lining – Fleece inner material helps you stay warm.
- Bulky – Designed larger than most robes; could be considered more of a parka.
BEST LONG LENGTH ROBE FOR SWIMMERS: Sioro Terry Cloth Robe
If you want length, go with the Sioro Terry Cloth Robe (For Women) and Sioro Terry Cloth Robe (For Men). It is perfect for swimmers looking for a long robe to keep warm and dry at the pool.
The women’s robe measures between 49 – 54 inches in length depending on the size. The men’s robe measures between 52 – 57 inches.
It is made from premium towel fabric. It features a handy hanger loop, detachable outer belt, and a hoodie to keep your head warm. Plus, there are two big front pockets perfect for holding your belongings.
This cozy item is perfect for swimmers looking for a robe with length.
- Length – Great for swimming looking for a long robe.
- Fabric – The premium fabric will keep you cozy and warm.
- Quick Dry – Absorbs moisture and drys quickly.
- Fades – Color fades over time with washes.
THE BEST PONCHO STYLE ROBE FOR SWIMMERS: Dryrobe Swim Robe
The Dryrobe Swim Robe is our favorite poncho style robe: meaning it slips over your head without an opening in the front like most robes.
Made from 100% organic cotton, the Dryrobe is super soft to the touch. It has quick drying absorbent material.
It also features short sleeves that allow you to easily use both hands while changing. It’s long enough to cover you from head to knee, so you can change in privacy like our top deck changing pick: Oksun Waterproof Changing Robe.
This robe allows you to stay cozy since you do not have to worry about it opening in the front.
- Style – The poncho style robe does not have an opening like most robes.
- Material – The absorbency of this robe is like having a back-up towel.
- Short sleeves – Design allows for maximum mobility.
- Heavy when wet – This robe holds weight when it gets soaking wet. Be cautious not to allow children or non water safe swimmers to fall into the pool wearing it. Always think water safety first!
THE BEST KID’S ROBE FOR SWIMMERS: Turkish Linen Ultra-Soft Plush Robe
Looking for a super soft, cozy robe for your little swimmer? Look no further than the Turkish Linen Ultra-Soft Plush Robe!
Made from 100% super fine polyester microfiber, this robe is warm, soft and absorbent – perfect for relaxing after coming out of a chilly pool.
The shawl collar and long sleeves will keep your child warm, while the high-quality belt ensures a comfortable fit. Plus, the two pockets are perfect for holding dive toys or keeping hands warm.
- Made for kids – Robe is specifically designed in children sizes.
- Cozy – The 100% super fine polyester microfiber makes this robe very comfortable.
- Absorbency – Material absorbs water, making it perfect for coming out of the pool.
- Lint – It lets off a lot of lint when new. We recommend washing before using.
What To Look For When Buying A Robe For Swimming
When looking for a robe to take with you to the pool, you should look out for the following things:
Certain robes are heavy or lighter than others – pick based on your preference. Most importantly you want one that has a soft and comfortable feeling.
There are few better feelings than completing a hard swim workout. Make that post-swim feeling even better by putting on a luxurious robe!
If you are going to wear it after you towel off from the pool, look for robes that can absorb water like the robes on our list. Quick drying is also a nice feature.
Make sure your new robe is the right fit for YOU!
Robes come in many different styles, so find one that is comfortable and flattering.
We recommend loose fitting robes. They are easier to wear, but it is up to your personal preference.
If you are buying for a child, we recommend sizing up. That way your kiddo can grow into it. Be cautious not to size up too large, so your child does not trip on it.
Yup, you better believe it… even robes have features these days! Here are three features to consider:
Do you want a robe with a hood? We like them to keep our wet heads warm, but understand they are not for everyone.
Do you need pockets? Think about what types of items you need to fit in your pockets for your swim like a swim cap, goggles, earplugs, and nose clip. If you are swimming in a chilly climate, pockets are a must-have to keep your hands warm.
Do you want a robes that ties shut? Most ropes do. The alternative style is a robe with a zipper or poncho style robe.
Consider the color and pattern of the robe when making your purchase.
Robes come in standard solid white, grey and black colors. Or you can find one that is a bit more stylish and flashy.
They say when you look good, you feel good! So find the best robe to fit your swimming personality.
What Is The Difference Between A Robe for Swimming and Bathrobe?
Robes used for swimming are similar to bathrobes you can use at home. The main difference in our recommendations is material.
If you want a casual robe to put over clothing or pajamas, it can be made from non-water absorbing materials like flannel, satin, and silk. They are super comfortable, but they are not made to get wet.
On the other hand, if you want something to use at the pool (or when you come at of the shower/bath at home), look for materials like terry cloth, Turkish, or Egyptian cotton.
There is also nothing wrong with multi-purposing any of our Athlete Approved robe picks to also use at home.
Do Olympic Swimmers Wear Robes?
Typically Olympic and high level swimmers do not wear robes at swim meets. They resort to more heavy duty parkas to keep warm and dry. Parkas are more like jackets.
Robes are more popular within the recreational lap swimming community.
There are some college swim teams who are known to wear robes at swim meets. They are normally teams on the west coast, who train and compete outdoors.
The most famous Olympic swimmer to sport a robe has to be Gary Hall Jr. He is one of the most successful Olympic athletes in the world. He represented Team USA at the 1996, 2000, and 2004 Olympic Games.
Gary is revered for his pre-race WWE style entrances that included flexing, shadow boxing, and wearing a boxing style robe.
Whether you are looking for a robe to keep you warm before jumping into the pool or one to cover up after your swim, we have got you covered.
Our list of Athlete Approved robes for swimmers will help make your decision a little easier.
Using a robe at the pool is always a good idea to make your swim a little more comfortable.
*Equip yourself for success with our Athlete Approved Guide to Lap Swimming Equipment!*
No comment yet, add your voice below!