Athlete Approved is reader supported. If you make a purchase through our links, we earn an affiliate commission, at no extra cost to you. We highly recommend all products and only promote items that are Athlete Approved.
Parkas are a swimwear staple for swimmers around the world. They keep you warm between swims, they’re easy to put on and take off, and they just look cool!
A lot of swimmers, like you, are searching for the best parka to keep them warm around the pool. Some questions to consider when we think about the perfect parka for swimmers: What is it made out of? How does it fit? What color should I get?
Finding your perfect parka can be a daunting task, but don’t worry! We have put together a list of our favorite parkas, so that you can find the right one for you! Read on to find out which parka will be the best for you this swim season!
Our Athlete Approved guide to the best parkas for swimmers includes:
- The Best Overall Parka: Speedo Team Parka
- The Best Looking Parka for Everyday Use: Arena Unisex Team Line Parka
- The Best Lifeguard Parka: Sporti Guard Comfort Fleece-Lined Swim Parka
- The Best High-End Parka: Helly-Hansen Rigging Coat Women’s | Rigging Coat Men’s
- The Best Budget Parka: Adoretex Fleece Swimming Parka
- What is a Swim Parka
- Why Every Swimmer Should Own a Parka
Best Overall Parka for Swimmers: Speedo Team Parka
The Speedo Team Parka is the perfect choice for any swimmer who wants to stay warm and comfortable on their way to their next swim. With a water resistant outer and fleece lining, you will find this Speedo Parka an optimal choice.
The jacket has a sleek, modern design, while still keeping you warmer than other jackets on the market today. The zipper can be zipped up from either the inside or outside of the jacket, making it easy to put over clothing or on after a tough swim.
It comes in multiple solid colors, plus color combinations so you can sport your favorite team colors! Use the sizing chart to make sure that you order the right size.
- Inner Fleece – Warm inner lined fleece makes it extra soft and fast drying
- Design – Sleek and modern look that can be zippered from the inside or outside
- Trusted – Made by industry leading brand Speedo
- Water Resistant – Outer shell is water resistant, not water proof
Best Looking Parka for Everyday Use: Arena Unisex Team Line Parka
Parkas can be quite the investment, so why should you only wear it to go swimming?
The Arena Unisex Team Line Parka is our pick for the best parka to wear everyday. It is still great for wearing at swim meets and morning workouts.
It also has a sleek look so non-swimmers (sometimes referred to as muggles) won’t do a double take every time you sport this jacket away from the pool.
You will stay dry and comfy with this parka. The tough exterior is made to last, while the soft inner lining is constructed of polar fleece to keep you warm.
This parka comes in navy, asphalt and black colors. You can also easily customize it when ordering with your name on the front of the jacket!
- Versatile – Wear it to the pool or as an everyday jacket
- Customizable – Option to order with your name embroidered
- Warmth – Polar fleece inner lining
- Wrist Fabric Absorbs Rain – The material around the wrist can absorb water in the rain (so keep your hands in your pockets or roll up the fabric)
Best Lifeguard Parka for Swimmers: Sporti Guard Comfort Fleece-Lined Swim Parka
The Sporti Guard Comfort Fleece-Lined Swim Parka is a great way for lifeguards to stay warm and comfortable, no matter how cold the weather may be during this swimming season.
The parka has an outer shell that’s resistant to moisture from rain and pool patron cannon balls. It has pockets in all the right places, so you can easily store your safety supplies with easy access.
It also features a fleece lining for extra warmth on those chilly evenings on the lifeguard stand!
This jacket easily identifies lifeguards on duty as they keep patrons safe!
Lifeguards love these to keep warm. And pool managers love these for not having their lifeguard team wearing random jackets.
- Lifeguard Uniform – Allows lifeguards to be easily identified and you can add a custom name on the front
- Best Seller – Popular item that is time tested
- Warmth – Lined inside with fleece with a draw string hood
- Lifeguards Only – Can only be purchased with “Guard+” screen printed on the back
Best High-End Parka for Swimmers: Helly-Hansen Rigging Coat
If you are looking for a high-end parka (although some may consider this more of a jacket), then look no further than the Helly Hansen Rigging Coat. From avalanches to ice storms, Helly Hansen gear is tough enough for any winter weather, so it will surely meet your swimming needs.
This jacket provides waterproof protection without sacrificing on style or warmth. The Rigging Coat is perfect for any water activity involving the water (or any element for that matter)!
With its 3-in-1 design—that includes an outer layer made of 100% waterproof HELLY TECH® fabric with quilted lining and interior lining made of 60g PrimaLoft®, this coat not only keeps you warm, but also protects from wind and rain showers.
- High End – Super high quality option
- Water Proof – Outer layer is 100% waterproof HELLY TECH® fabric
- Comfort – Interior lining made of cozy material
- Price – More expensive than other parka option, but this is a high end option
Best Budget Parka for Swimmers: Adoretex Fleece Swimming Parka
The Adoretex Fleece Swimming Parka is made of durable, water-resistant 100% Oxford Nylon. This is a great parka for any swimmer. And its lower price point makes it easy on you or your wallet!
It has elastic cuffs at the end of long sleeves and an adjustable drawstring hood to keep your head warm.
The swimming parka comes fully lined and has pockets with velcro closure. It can also be used throughout the year for a versatile wear!
This parka has such a wide variety of color available that it’s hard not to find one to suit your taste and style!
- Budget Option – The lower price point makes this a thrifty option
- Material – Made with durable, water-resistant 100% Oxford Nylon
- Color Options – 21 different color variations
- Zipper – Requires care when using the zipper
What is a Swim Parka
Parkas are a type of long jacket that is typically worn in cold weather. Swimmers love these things for a number of reasons.
Parkas come in varying lengths, so you can choose what length best suits your needs – most swimmers prefer below the knees.
Parkas can be waterproof or water-resistant, so be sure to know which you are purchasing. Most are water-resistant and get the job done. The 100% waterproof parkas come with a bigger price tag.
Why Every Swimmer Should Own a Parka
A parka is a lifesaver for the casual lap swimmer…
Since they are so big, you can put it right over your men’s swimsuit/women’s swimsuit. You won’t need to waste any time getting changed. That means one less trip into that dirty public pool locker room.
Here is a fun fact: The word “parka” comes from the Inuit language meaning “to wear something over oneself”.
A Must-Have for Swim Meets
They also come up clutch at swim meets because you can take them on and off while you are still wet. They are typically lined with a warm fleece like material that quickly drys.
If you go up to the starting blocks cold, you are not going to have the best swim. A parka will keep your internal body temperature up, so you will be ready for an awesome race as soon as you hit the water.
Not only does the hood provides cover for your wet hair, it also creates intimidation over your competition. See photo below…
Rite of Passage for Swimmers
Owning a parka is like smelling of chlorine; it is just something all swimmers do. They provide good utility and comfort.
They are often a part of a team uniform. And if your team does not have one, then they should!
And at the end of the day, when you look good you feel good!
Now that you know how to choose the right parka for your swimwear needs, it’s time to get one!
Use our Athlete Approved guide to parkas for swimmers help you find the best one for you. We wish you a warm and cozy swim season!
Let us know if you agree with our picks in our comments and social media.
*Get the most out of your next swim with our Athlete Approved Guide to Lap Swimming Equipment! Equip yourself for success with our ultimate swim gear guide.*